When you’re looking to buy weed online, upon browsing the available cannabis strains, you’ll notice that there are indicas, sativas, and hybrids that can offer you a balance of effects. With prices and product reviews helping to simplify your decision making, the best way you can find something that you’ll love is by ensuring that you’re exploring the section that appeases to your interests. So, before you bother to even look at our best sellers, how about expanding your learning by brushing up on some factors that separate indicas and sativas to determine what you want from your weed?
By their effects
Sativa strains provide the user with a head high that is often described as uplifting or euphoric. Those that ingest this type of bud often feel an increase in their energy levels and a greater sense of alertness, which makes sativas perfect for daytime use. The best part is that it’s common for this strain to exhibit a hallucinogenic effect, motivating those who have creative minds.
While indica strains are known to manifest more of a body high, which enhances the user’s ability to relax and decompress, they also work well medicinally, providing pain alleviation, appetite stimulation and work well as sleep aids. Since indica is famous for the body buzz making it the perfect strain to use as you start to wind down your night or right before you go to bed.
By their cannabinoid compounds
Each cannabis plant is composed of hundreds of cannabinoids that when combined, create a unique application of effects. Cannabinoids, such as THC and CBD, are the two main drivers in cannabis that produce both therapeutic and recreational effects.
- THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol): makes the user feel hungry and high while also relieving symptoms like pain and nausea.
- CBD (cannabidiol): is a non-intoxicating compound in the plant that helps alleviate anxiety, pain, inflammation, and many other medical ailments.
Familiarizing yourself with THC and CBD may help you to determine whether indica or sativa is the best choice for you.
- THC-dominant strains are notably chosen by a consumer who’s seeking a potent, euphoric experience.
- CBD-dominant strains content a very small amount of THC and are widely used by patients that need help with pain management, but are sensitive to the effects of THC and prefer a clear-headed means of relief.
- Balanced strains are defined as products that contain a balanced ratio of THC and CBD. These strains usually can offer users a mild euphoria, combined with symptom relief, and tend to be the preferred choice for novice marijuana enthusiasts.
By their terpenes
For those who don’t know, terpenes are organic compounds that work as a defence system for plants — protecting them from herbivores by drawing predators and parasites. So, naturally, since cannabis is a plant, it also has its aromatic terpenes that are secreted by the glands to make your favorite buds smell like berries, citrus, or pine. However, how do the terpenes shape the effects of various cannabis strains?
Well, terpenes are major players that drive sedating or energizing effects in cannabis. This means that a good way to buy weed online is to seek out indicas or sativas with aromas that stand out to you and start by giving them a try. In time, terpenes may even be the deciding factor when you’re selecting your favorite herbs. Read: How Terpenes reduce anxiety
By their appearance
There are some distinct botanical differences that separate indica and sativa strains. An Indica plant will have broad, dark green leaves that are short and dense. They also appear more fanned out and full. Whereas a sativa plant comes in narrow-leaf varieties that are lighter green, tall, lean and long and are slenderly spaced between each blade of the plant. However, hybrid strains will vary in their appearance.
Are there any other ways that these cannabis strains are different? Drop a comment below if we forgot a defining factor!