Avid gardeners rejoice! With the legalization of pot on the horizon, Canadian federal law has permitted adults to grow their very own marijuana plants. Here’s what you need to know before putting your green thumb to the test.
What will the rules and restrictions be?
- Must be over the age of 19 to grow your own plants.
- You are allowed to plant and grow up to four plants per household for personal use.
- The plants must not be visible from public spaces that surround the property.
- Cannabis cultivation will be banned in dwellings used as daycares.
- Landlords and strata councils will be allowed to restrict or prohibit any form of home cultivation.
What you need to know before you grow?
Growing your own weed plant isn’t as simple as remembering to water your indoor cactus. There are a lot of factors to consider before you throw some seeds in a pot and see what happens.
Although weed is known for growing in pretty much any condition imaginable, hence the name, if you are interested in growing your own weed you should know that you will need to be prepared to spend lots of time (three to four months growing, plus the time that is required to harvest, trim, dry and cure the bud) and money on your newly discovered hobby.
- Ensure your dwelling possesses the proper electrical wiring.
- Ensure your dwelling has relatively good air ventilation.
- Keeping your grow area clean is important to prevent any mold.
- Growing your own weed requires a fully enclosed area where you have the ability to manage the temperature, light and humidity levels.
Prepare a novice grower starting kit
If you are preparing to grow your very own indoor marijuana plants, you may want to invest in some of items to ensure the successful growth of your plants.
- A growing tent (they are made to grow in and can be easily sent up and taken down).
- Lighting (your plants relies on light to grow and mature).
- Light timers (marijuana plants have different light cycles that are required for them to flourish).
- Thermometre/hygrometre (investing in these products will ensure that your plants stay within their optimal growing temperature.
- Plant nutrients (like most plants, cannabis requires food to grow).
- Fans (it is a living organism that requires oxygen).
- Carbon filters (it will hide the powerful smell that cannabis tends to leave behind).
- Feminized, unfertilized cannabis seeds (only these types of seeds will product bud).
Now that you know the basics of what is required to produce your own plants, are you still interested in growing your own weed? Tell us about it in the comments section below.